Mercedes launches AMG G 63 ‘Edition 463’ and Mercedes-AMG GLS 63 [Jun 27, 2017]
India’s largest luxury car maker Mercedes-Benz today further strengthened its performance SUV segment, with the launch of two powerful SUVs - Mercedes-AMG G 63 ‘Edition 463’ and Mercedes-AMG GLS 63. The launch of these SUVs now expands Mercedes-Benz’s dominant SUV portfolio to eight, the highest in the luxury segment and also consolidates its leading position in the luxury performance segment, spearheaded by the AMG sub-brand.
‘G’ is one of the most sought after letters in the automobile world, especially when it comes to performance SUVs. Globally, the ‘G Wagen’ has been scintillating its valued patrons for almost four decades, since 1979 to be precise. Even after 37 years of technological evolution, every G is still crafted by hand in Graz, Austria. Every intricate detail of this 3 ton plus SUV is meticulously tested and handcrafted to perfection by the immaculate AMG engineers.
There’s a reason no other SUV feels like a G. No other SUV is built like one. The Mercedes-AMG GLS 63 also shows strength of character with its updated design featuring the AMG brand look and high-quality interior. The brand's hallmark superior 'Driving Performance' and the generous space for passengers and luggage characterise the new Mercedes-AMG GLS 63. The Mercedes-AMG G 63 limited ‘Edition 463’ and the Mercedes-AMG GLS 63 was launched by Roland Folger, Managing Director & CEO, Mercedes-Benz India.
Roland Folger, Managing Director & CEO, Mercedes-Benz India said: “Our AMG portfolio has witnessed overwhelming success and we are thrilled to introduce two new performance SUVs– Mercedes-AMG G 63 ‘Edition 463’ and Mercedes-AMG GLS 63 to our performance luxury SUV range in India. Launched in India, for the first time in 2013, this iconic beast has been the vehicle of choice for our elite clientele and its timeless design remains fascinating till date. “One man, one engine” is more than a guiding philosophy for Mercedes-AMG, it’s a pedigree of performance.
It is a testament brought to life during several years of gruesome off-roading and seamless track testing, that this particular engine – the 5.5 Litre, bi-turbo V8 engine has sublimely mastered. Both the Mercedes-AMG G 63 and the Mercedes-AMG GLS 63 have uniquely fulfilled the desires of those ardent enthusiasts, who believe in scintillating performance regardless of the terrain, time, temperature or topography. With the launch of these supreme performance SUVs, we now offer 9 AMG models in India.”
Roland Folger added, “It’s an exciting time for Mercedes-Benz as we are steadfastly pursuing our objective of achieving the ‘Best Customer Experience’. The success of our customer centric approach reiterates that our strategy to focus on top of the pyramid is paying off. We are on the right track and we will continue to focus on delivering our brand promise for our patrons. With today’s launch we further strengthen our AMG portfolio in India and are confident of leading the performance segment with fascinating product interventions.”
Mercedes-AMG G 63: True Blue off-roader with the heart of an AMG sports car
The new Mercedes-AMG G 63 is equipped with a supercharged 5.5-litre V8-engine developing 420 kW @ 5500 rpm and a maximum torque of 760 Nm @ 5000 rpm These figures ensure a decidedly superior performance: the Mercedes-AMG G 63 accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in 5.4 seconds, and has an (electronically limited) top speed of 210 km/h. The combination of three 100% differential locks, an off-road reduction gear and the Electronic Traction System 4ETS is unique in this segment, and makes for outstanding off-roading capabilities. The Mercedes-AMG G 63 has a load capacity of up to 2250 litres and a massive towing capacity up to 3500 kg.
· Single-tone dashboard in black designo leather
· 2-tone seats designo black leather or designo light brown leather with side bolsters in black carbon leather
· 2-tone centre console | Colour-coordinated topstitching on dashboard, front and rear door handles, armrest, handbrake, seat covers and head restraints front and rear (matching the selected seat colour)
· AMG carbon-fibre trim
· designo Exclusive package
· Door centre panels in designo leather (in designo colour) with diamond quilting
· Stainless-steel underride guard
· AMG Sport strips on flanks
· Inserts in exterior protective strips in dark aluminium look
· 53.3 cm (21-inch) 5-twin-spoke light-alloy wheels in matt black with high-sheen rim flange
Mercedes-AMG GLS 63: The quickest performance SUV in the segment
The Mercedes-AMG GLS 63 AMG has a 5.5-litre V8 BITURBO engine, which develops a peak output of 430 kW and maximum torque of 760 Nm. The unique AMG RIDE CONTROL sports suspension with ACTIVE CURVE SYSTEM roll stabilisation provides high-level driving dynamics and the comfort that Mercedes-Benz has become synonymous with. The Mercedes-AMG GLS 63 packs the perfect blend of style, luxury, sportiness and performance driving which are associated with the Mercedes-Benz and AMG brands.
All-wheel drive with rear-biased power split
The permanent AMG Performance 4MATIC all-wheel-drive system is equipped with a discrete transfer case: in the interests of higher agility, the torque has a rear-biased split of 40:60 between the front and rear axle.
· AMG Performance steering wheel in black nappa leather
· Temperature-controlled cup holder
· Multicontour front seats including massage function, luxury head restraints and seat cushion depth adjustment"
· THERMOTRONIC automatic climate control
· Memory package | Heated rear seats |Heated front seats | Double sunblind
· Harmon Kardon Logic 7 surround sound system
· EASY-ENTRY system power release (2nd row electrically foldable seats)
· 3rd SEAT ROW ELECTRICAL FOLDABLE
· Collapsible spare wheel
· Chrome fins
· Red paint brake callipers
· Panoramic sliding sunroof
· Mirror package including brand logo projection
· Anti-theft protection package
· LED Intelligent Light System with integrated LED DRLs
· Adaptive High Beam Assist Plus
· AMG Bodystyling
· EASY-PACK tailgate with electrically operated opening and closing functions